It was the spring of 1962 which witnessed the birth of an institution which was later to develop into an educational giant. The infant institution initially started in a few rented rooms of the Gaddafi Stadium then known as the National Stadium, Lahore. Later on, the institution was shifted to Model Town, Lahore, when the co-operative Model Town Society Limited, in extending its gracious cooperation, gifted about 186 kanals of land for the construction of the school buildings.
The first to be constructed among the school building was the present Boys’ Junior Wing building which was completed in 1965.
In 1966 the school was raised to the level of a high School. The first batch of the talented scholars of this school took their matriculation examination in 1968. The same year yet another landmark was witnessed in the history of Divisional Public School when the School Boarding House started functioning with a Strength of Six students in the staff Residential Quarters.
In 1969 the building of Boys’ Senior Wing, Model town was completed and the Senior School was shifted there. It also housed the Principal’s Office.
In 1976, Divisional Public School touched new heights and became an intermediate college. Subsequently, the junior Model School Building was obtained from the Education Department and a Nursery & K.G Wing shifted there for the toddlers.
In 1981, however, the Hostel was shifted to its present location, a spacious and grand building close by the School main Gate, which now hosts about 150 students every year and facilities for them a living a worthy of Publican scholar. Now, we can proudly say that DPS Hostel, Iqbal House, is a flourishing Boarding House housing students from Class 1to 2nd year. The same year the Girls’ Wing was started in the present Boys’ Junior School Building and girls for Class VI were admitted. In 1983-84 a new building for the Girls’ Wing was built and it housed the girls Class I to Class VIII with all facilities. Later on, the Girls’ Wing, Too, was upgraded to the status of a Girls’ College. In 1987, the first batch of student, comprising 54 Girls took their matriculation examination as regular students and thanks a lot to Allah Almighty 96.3% of them secured 1st Division.
The academic results shown by our students in the Lahore Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education Matriculation and in the Cambridge O-Levels Examination have always been a source of pride for Publican family and reflect upon the visionary guidance of our Board of Governors, the leadership of the Principal and the hard work put in by the teachers and the students. Historically speaking, DPS has always been in the top positions. However, in the years 2015 and 2016, historic landmarks were reached when all three top positions were secured by DPS students. In 2016, under the leadership of the present Principal Mrs. Shala Malik, our brilliant student Rana Umar Farman, Model Town Branch, secured the 1st Position overall with 1087 Marks. Muhammad Shayan Waheed, Model Town Branch, secured the 2nd overall with 1086 Marks. Syed Moman Ali, Model Town Branch, and Husnain Mustaq, Township Branch, secured the 3rd Positions overall with 1085 Marks. Furthermore, Rameesha Tahir, Township Branch, secured the 2nd Position among girls with 1082 Marks. This legendary performance speaks volumes about the quality of education at DPS. The future is just another landmark in our journey towards excellence.